A Hopp'in BarufFeast

A HOPP'IN BARUFFEAST IS FULL! See everyone else in March!

Saturday, February 18th at
630pm (note time change from 730pm)

The menu is decided!
Thanks to Gina, Terry, Mom and Dad for inspirational ideas!
Gourmet Pizza evening with 4 varieties. All of them will be cooked on the FAMOUS Big John's Pizza Queen pizza doughs.

1. Thai chicken (contains peanuts)
2. Arugula/feta cheese/ sauteed onion (vegetarian)
3. Truffle/Mushroom and Asiago (vegetarian)
4. Chicken Fajita (spicy)
5. Sauce and mozzarella (with and without hot italian sausage)

Mission

Mission: Provide an open space for friends and family who feel welcome to come and enjoy my 'slow food' dinners, once per month. Bring friends and whatever you can contribute!

Once dinners are closed, they're closed! So sign up when you can.

Stay tuned for updates, dinner dates/times and recipes! Don't hesitate to share your ideas or to request a theme-dinner. I'm always up for a good challenge. :)

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Russ and Marie visit


As Marie astutely pointed out this evening after the meal, BarufFeast could also double as BaruffEast, since I am one of two Baruffi Brothers, one of whom is in San Francisco- "BaruffWest" AKA Russ.


(Here's Marie totin' the evening garden contribution: Fresh basil and sage, Pinot Noir grape, apples, peaches and some lettuce)


So what WAS dinner? Good question. It was my parents' turn to experience BarufFeast, and I had to make it a good one!


As arugula is my favorite salad base, so yes, I went with it YET AGAIN, and dressed it up with a basic balsamic vinaigrette and added some goat cheese.

I tempted fate a bit this evening as I planned the main course: Indian food-mild cuisine for my parents. Don't get me wrong, I love Indian food, but my parents haven't explored it much, so I had to tread lightly. Well, I think I've got them hooked with this recipe from the Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook. Pay attention, all you folks striving to pull your parents from their pasta-eating comfort zones, here comes Basil chicken in Coconut-Curry Sauce (p. 427).

Basil straight from Marie's garden, 4 chicken breasts, KPs fantastic old-country curry recipe, Onion, garlic, jalapenos and coconut milk. Since coconut milk can be high in saturated fat, instead of 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk, I used 1/2 can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of vegetable stock (no complaints)

I think that sweet fruit juice pairs best with indian food, so I would choose a Mango puree, but Acme disappointed, so I opted for the next best thing: Arizona Mucho Mango (which you can mix nicely with gin or vodka).


The recipe didn't call for this kick, I added a surprise ingredient: KPs famous homemade curry! 




 Russ, Marie and Gia at my new low-table. Thanks G and T!

  

A big thanks to Russ for his help with installing my shelves!

Marie and Russ signed their names on the BarufFeast chalk-board wall, now it's your turn!


Inaugural dinner to be announced tomorrow. Stay tuned!




-Baruff-East

5 comments:

  1. t says: i think your space could use a second low-table. given our current living space situation, i suggest that when you're free, you can pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. t says: (if you want it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... this low table sure works well! I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dan! So excited hear about your new place... And Gina told me all about you chalk board walk, which is such a great idea. I can't wait to be an active participant in one of your dinners :) I have to tell you my Aunt Bebe makes a fantastic Tiramisu, and luckily she taught me how to make it! Hope to see you soon, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy! Great to hear from you. I may charge you with making that Tiramisu for the next BarufFeast! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete